Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving at Monte Cristo



I always have to do something different at Thanksgiving even though the very wise and talented Giata says "NEVER try something new at Thanksgiving", that just is the push I need to prove someone wrong.

Thanksgiving Monte Cristo

2 turkey breast without the bone
1 hickory flavored ham

I soaked the turkey with 1 T salt, 3 springs of rosemary and lavendar and 1/4 c of brown sugar for 36 hours.

I took the turkey out of the water 4 hours ahead of time and pounded them out until they were somewhat flat.  I then cut the ham in 1/2 inch slices and rolled the turkey with the ham setting it in a roasting pan.  It was a thanksgiving miracle it came out looking like it did... honestly.

I added 2 T of melted butter to 2 cups of cornbread stuffing and patted that over top.  Then on either side, I added 2 fresh springs of rosemary.  Covered it and said a prayer.

The oven was set on 400 for 15 minutes, then 300 until the inside temp read 180.

The Gravy  - (yes, capitalized because it was SOOOOO good)

Wolfgang Puck's recipe

1/2 c white wine (Gewurztraminer)
1/2 c.Yulumba Muscat dessert wine - he used Madiera
2 c. Turkey broth
Reduced to 1/2 then added
1 c. chicken broth
2 T butter
3 T flour



No comments:

Post a Comment