Saturday, November 24, 2012

Chicken thighs CAN be cooked inside!

Once the weather is warm enough to stand outside in a sweatshirt (45 degrees or higher), I stock my freezer with chicken thighs because nothing is better than marinated grilled chicken thighs with a nice cold beer.

However, I bought more thighs than the weather could hold out and I stood in front of my oven wondering...
1. Do I remember how to use this?
2. How can I make chicken thighs indoors????

My first attempt was "eh".  We threw away most of it away because it just didn't have the flavor we remembered and it was too fatty.

My second attempt was...After throwing the rest of the uncooked ham (recipe and pictures to follow) from thanksgiving into the slow cooker with some brown sugar, I got an spark of an idea with my chicken thighs.  I had watched Alton Brown make his sauced chicken wings and thighs are about the same.  So....

Saucy Chicken Thighs

1 pkg of frozen chicken thighs

and my
basic chicken seasoning... you can add anything else to this to make it taste like mexican, italian, teryaki, etc....

1 T onion powder
1 T garlic powder
1 T season salt
2T brown sugar
1 T chicken bouillon

All of this went into my dutch oven.  I turned it on the lowest possible setting and put the lid on and basically forgot about it until the smells started wafting. (2 1/2 hours)

I let it cook until the meat was falling apart.  I mixed together...

1 1/2 c.Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce 
1 t. liquid smoke (opt)
2 T honey

I put the chicken in the sauce, gently mixed it around until all the pieces were covered and placed the pieces on a broiler pan with foil to catch the drippings underneath.  I put the oven on 225 and just let it cook until it was dinnertime.  (1 hour)

I ate it in a lavash bread wrap with carmelized onions and melted gouda cheese.  My daughter had an ooey-gooey BBQ hoagie samich and my youngest and husband just used their fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment